Church History

umc logotext


History of Our Church


The history of Hinesville First United Methodist Church dates back to 1837.  Our history closely parallels Hinesville's and Liberty County's history.  In 1837,  the town of Hinesville reserved a plot for the Methodist Church.  This site was adjacent to the courthouse, which is the present day site of Bradwell Park.  From a small frame building, Methodism in Hinesville began to grow.

 

For almost 100 years, the Methodist Church was the only house of worship and served as the center of community life.  With the expansion and growth of Hinesville and Camp Stewart, the chruch expanded also.  In 1941, the church was moved to its current location.  Under the pastoral guidance of Reverend James W. Patterson, the church building program resulted in a new sanctuary placed into use in 1942.  In November of 1942, the new building was completed under the pastoral leadership of Reverend Frank Nalls.  Mr. Walter H. Cohan chaired the committee that raised the funds to pay off the building debt.  After retiring the debt, the new building was dedicated on September 4, 1944.

 

Our church continued to grow again in the 1970s.  In 1975 under the pastoral guidance of Reverend Carroll W. Crosby, the sanctuary was renovated and a new parsonage was constructed.  With continued growth in Liberty County and Fort Stewart, a new sanctuary was needed.  Under the pastoral leadership of Reverend J.D. Corbitt, Jr. the present sanctuary was built, saw it's first worship service in May of 1984 and was consecrated on February 10, 1985.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Hinesville First United Methodist Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community